Return to an era of grace, elegance and charm.
The Carrington Hotel has a long and rich history since her establishment by Sydney hotelier Harry Rowell more than one hundred and thirty years ago.
Opened in 1883 as The Great Western, this Grand Old Lady soon became a popular mountain retreat for international visitors, the elite of Sydney, and those eager to see the natural wonders of the Blue Mountains.
Renamed 'The Carrington' in 1886, in honour of the then Governor of New South Wales, Lord Carrington, the hotel was extended by its new owner, Mr F C Goyder who is credited with the creation of The Grand Dining Room. With its extended and upgraded facilities, The Carrington gained even more acceptance as a world class establishment.
By the early 1900's The Carrington's reputation as the premier tourist resort in the Southern Hemisphere was undisputed and the newspapers of the day often cited her as the only rival to Raffles Hotel, Singapore within The Empire.
Sold in 1911 to Sir James Joynton Smith, who introduced the famous stained glass facade, The Carrington entered a new phase and quickly became known as the honeymoon destination of choice, and this remained so for the next half a century.
Although in a time of decline in Mountains tourism, The Carrington remained popular as ever through the 1950's and 60's and was bought by Theo Morris, a developer, in 1968. Despite the dwindling popularity of the Mountains in the 70's and the toll taken by time on the Hotel, her loyal clientele kept her afloat for nearly twenty more years.
The Carrington closed her doors in late 1985 and remained empty and derelict until 1991 when it was purchased with the aim of restoring and relaunching this Grand Old Lady of the Mountains.
The Carrington reopened her doors in December 1998 after eight years of restoration, however renovation and upgrade works still continue today as well as the restoration of the gardens, garages and old stables.
The old Katoomba Power station was renovated into the Carrington Cellars & Deli which opened in 2010. One hundred years earlier it had been built to provide electricity to the region from Medlow Bath to Wentworth Falls. Using coal and water to generate electricity, with the excess exiting the tall chimney that can be seen high above the hotel. One hundred years later The Carrington again commenced making its own power with the introduction of the co-generation plant.
The gardens are a continual work in progress by the dedicated gardeners with a kitchen garden the most recent addition which will serve the kitchens with herbs and greens.
If you would like to learn more about the history of The Carrington Hotel, to organise a tour of the Hotel. History booklets are also for sale.